Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Torn

I'm very torn these days. As most of you dear readers know, I go through pro-tech stages and anti-tech stages, sometimes blogging/tweeting/etc., and sometimes deciding that no good can come from any of it. I thought I was in an anti-social space these days; however, I have joined two new networks/services in two days, which feels like the tide ebbing again.

First, I figured I would try out Twine. It's 1/2 social networking, 1/2 bookmarking, and wholly participating in a collective think-/report-space around a given topic. I started one about LexisNexis, just to get a feel for how the system works. So far, I am the only member of my twine, and I simply bookmark articles that I find online about the company into it. Nothing too special yet, but I can see how active participation could nurture socially-exciting niche topics. I've joined a few external twines, so we'll see what happens.

The second is called Patrons of Change (tag line "...rejecting the status quo). This looks to be a (as-of-today) small social network with most of its members residing within 20 miles of me. As most of you know, I work/play/stay at home 99% of the time, so the possibility of exchanging progressive, innovative, ideas with "real" people is very appealing to me. Having just joined, I'm not sure if/how I will fit into their PoC vision, but I am excited about the possibility of having an on-line social network that could blend into actual ("real") space.

Yes, I am torn about many other things at the moment as well. Career being one of them, but I will leave that discussion for another time...maybe.

"one part of me just wants to tell you everything / one part just needs the quiet"--Glen Phillips

shanti,
mjh

2 comments:

mel said...

i can't keep up with you! i'm lucky to keep my facebook page up.

Alison said...

I like that last quote...