Friday, June 12, 2009

breakfast with the geeks

As everyone who reads this blog knows, i am a homebased employee. This means that I spend 96% of my days here in my house (that's 23 hours out of 24) on an average day. Yesterday, however, I found myself having breakfast with 25 or so of the most interesting people I have met here in Nashville. The event: Geek Breakfast.

The group was more diverse than I had predicted, which made me feel much more at home. I broke bread with a pastor, a recruiter, a marketer, a couple of web developers, and a photographer. Coffee and conversation; just what a lonesome, cloistered book-guy like me needed.

I have greatly underestimated the value of the "real", face-to-face world these past two years. And I have greatly underestimated the need to fill my vessel with knowledge, wisdom, and humor from new faces.

I think it's time to get out more and recognize the world for what it is; lunatics on the grass.

shanti,
mjh

No comments: