Sunday, June 6, 2010

4.leaves

If there is one four-leaf clover in a patch the size of a basketball court, I can find it. Sounds bold, but it is true. I have found one four-leafer a day every day for the past week (and one with 5 leaves...that one kinda scared me) ; it's a skill I have mastered over the past decade or so. And I think it is time to put it on my resume.

You see, finding the unique among the common requires concentration, attention to detail, patience, a little bit of luck, persistence, and a gut feeling. Sure, I can try and show these qualities by listing jobs that I have had, the qualities required to do certain tasks in those positions, random corporate projects that showcased one or the other; however, the truth is that I can find four-leaf clovers with the best of them. And there is something of value there.

So, what off-the-beaten path skill do you have? What human trick puts you in a league unto yourself? What can you do that I can't? Figure that out and leverage your talent. Put it on your resume, your personal development plan, heck, even your email signature.

We live in an age where 'job skills' are not strictly defined by what degree you have, what positions you have filled, or what titles you can claim.

If you can solve a Rubik's Cube blindfolded, can spot a typo from 50 feet away, have perfect pitch, know every artistic period, can balance on a chair without touching the ground, can calm a difficult child...we might need you. Regardless, we need to know about you.

It's time to change the corporate 'you' that exists on paper. Let me know what sets you apart from the pack. What makes you a four-leaf clover in your company? Since you are here, I am claiming that I have already found you.

shanti,
mjh

EAVB_DFEHXATFNB

No comments: