Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Day 1: The Beginning (almost)

As I start my own Social Marketing consultancy, I'll be blogging the journey. For those interested in voyeuristically or vicariously taking the adventure with me, I welcome your company. #onward

It's an odd feeling waking up to Inbox Zero. For the past eight years, it's been a fantasy. No extraneous meeting notices, no multi-voice conversations about stuff that rarely matters, no Q's that need A's that will just lead to more Q's...it's been a fantasy.

And today I get to live that dream. I woke up this morning to a completely dark inbox. 

*aaaah*

*uh-oh* 

Hmm...I guess I better start working, then.

Since I have a seemingly endless list of to-do's but no real understanding of what needs to get to-done first, or second, or two weeks ago, I'm happily flying blind for the first time in my life. I'm in the enthralling first days of creating my own business, which means that structure needs to be built, discipline needs to become a primary focus, and the reality of my decision needs to start setting in.

But that will all come in time (*note to self*: do those things). But before I dive into registering my new business, creating a business plan, figuring out an accounting system, redesigning my website (again), getting clients...first, I need to stop and enjoy the moment.

I remember distinctly the day my parents dropped me off at college. They moved me into the dorm, we met my roommates, I hugged them good-bye, and.....?

The mixture of emotion that occurred then is reoccurring now. The prism of freedom, responsibility, sadness, independence, fear, fear, fear, self-confidence, self-reliance, and (yup) fear; the palette of a moment in time where you are not only set free to succeed, but also set free to fail. What an amazing moment ("free" being the most important word).

There are very few rules once leaps of faith made: moving away from your support network, bringing your newborn baby home, or hanging out your own shingle. And therein lies the beauty...it's all opportunity. Wide-open opportunity. It's the kickoff, the plane ticket, the opening bell. Opportunity.

The adrenaline of limitless, boundary-less, can't-see-or-think-past-tomorrow-ness that quiets the fear and doubt that could be crushing, really crushing...it's a thrill, and I'm utterly thankful to be experiencing it.

I'll be documenting these early days (partly because I don't know what else to do and partly to help me remember the genesis as time speeds by), so I hope you'll stop by now and again to see what I'm up to.

It's a privilege to be blogging again, and I appreciate the time it requires of you to explore, learn, and journey along with me.

shanti,
mjh

2 comments:

Tracie Morris said...

Congratulations and good luck with the new adventure! I'm excited to see you in action and how the business evolves.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Tracie! There will be a lot of bumping into walls and falling into holes. But it's all part of the adventure. :)