Wednesday, January 7, 2009

hippies

So, let's talk hippies for a moment. Why? Because they have been on my mind for quite some time. First, a couple of disclaimers: 1) I use "hippie" like some use "ninja". It's an over-generalized label that might or might not actually refer to or represent hippies. So, if you think you are an overly-sensitive hippie who might be offended by my characterization of hippiness, this post is probably not for you. 2) Yes, I will over-generalize, bend the truth at times, contradict myself, and probably flat out lie a little bit to get my point(s) across. It's not about the journey, my friends, it's about my new year's resolution. [and, for you serious folk, this is (almost) a joke.]

Depending on who you are and what your relationship is to me, you might characterize me as someone who really, really hates hippies. OR, you might characterize me as someone who really, really loves hippies. Both statements are very accurate and are not rhetorically constructed to be parallel for kicks; i really, really hate and really, really love hippies...every minute...every day. It's kind of a problem.

If there is one truism here, it is that I certainly don't not have an opinion about hippies (read: I have an opinion...I just like the pompous-sounding emphasis of the other). I want to explore the contradiction in feeling and see where it takes me, and where better to do so than a very public forum. Gotta love www, huh?

HATE:
First of all, I hate the individual and collective introspection-without-action of a hippie. Sure, hippies will sit around and "figure things out, man", but when was the last time a hippie did anything about it? Or, perhaps I should say, when is the last time a hippie succeeded in doing something about it (whatever "it" may be). When is the last time a hippie changed the world? And I am not talking about the CEO of a Fortune 500 company who used to be a hippie. A used-to-be hippie is not a hippie.
Speaking to that, where have all of those hippies gone who were going to beat the system back in the late 60s? Weren't about 1/2 of them going to infiltrate the system and change it from the inside? The other 50% are still waiting.
I hate the non-action of a hippie.
I hate the borderline-anarchism of hippies. Look, if you dig anarchy, then dig it, live it (and not in that ignorant punk-band way; those aren't anarchists, they are just know-nothing destroyers). Don't participate in the system; that's totally cool. There is power in non-action if done completely and without faltering. What would happen if 95% of people did not vote, did not pay their taxes, did not participate? If you are going to make a non-action statement, just make it. And make it loud and with numbers.
I hate the temporary action of a hippie (yes, this contradicts my over-generalized statement that hippies are, in essence, inactive, but I disclaimed, so I am safe). Sure, I will honk for peace when I pass you and see you and your honk-for-peace hippie buddies holding your "honk for peace" sign...but what then? I have a hard time recognizing the logical leap between beeping my horn and the world hearing, listening, and laying down arms. I don't see the benefit in showing up for the world's largest paint-by-number-a-thon. It's temporary; it's fake-action; it's hippie.
I hate that hippies don't loudly fight the co-opting of hippiness by society (corporate, government, on both macro- and micro-levels). Allowing car companies and clothing lines to co-opt your essence, to co-opt and water down your beliefs, to diminish your power by cheapening it, come on, at least fight (peacefully) for your passion and your (sometimes) good name.

LOVE:
I love the entrepreneurial spirit of a hippie. A hippie will pick up rocks right off of the ground and sell you one for a quarter (usually in the name of peace). You might think I would hate this, but for some reason I don't. I'd probably buy one.
I love the stillness of a hippie. Most of the hippies I have ever known have been very slow to anger, slow to unhinge, slow to unsettle. I dig that a lot. Sure, this leads to non-action, but I dig the detachment of a hippie.
I love the music of a hippie. Period.
I love the love of a hippie.
I love the karmic/cosmic view of a hippie.

See my problem? See a solution? I don't. I even tamed my hatred of and purposefully did not over-love-gush about hippies. If you ever see me at a coffee shop, don't get me started b/c my fingers won't tire out when talking.

so...New Year's resolution time. I think I want to be more hippie in 2009 (ugh, that "other" side of me can't believe I just said that). Let me rethink...

Actually, I would like to be kinda hippie-2.0; that's what I think the world needs. a hippie (you know: loving, still, peaceful, karma-centric) that is socially-connected on a global- and local-level. A hippie that recognizes that "the man" is more transparent and malleable now (and that the power has shifted from the gov't to this www). A hippie that places action above inaction and uses that super-hippie-introspection-power to spread peace, love, and identity beyond co-optable catch phrases, cartoonish figureheads, and nobody-notices sit-ins.

Perhaps what the world needs is a plethora of hippie-ninjas, organized globally, and all tapped into the hippie 2.0 hive mind.

or perhaps I just need to leave hippies alone, move them to the back-burner of my mind, and use my virtual real estate to say something meaningful. I'll work on that.

shanti,
mjh

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

“Hippies, hippies... they want to save the world but all they do is smoke pot and play frisbee!” ~Eric Cartman

Jaime Lynn said...

What's funny is that I was surprised when you said you hated hippies. I link hippies to cults, and I know you have a pseudo love for cults, so I imagined you had a pseudo love for hippies (which I admit you admitted that you do). Plus, you know that if you were born in the 60's you totally would have had long hair and lived in nothing but tie-die and sandals.

Unknown said...

ah, cults. love them. communes, too. And I am working on a hippie-ninja look.