Wednesday, April 22, 2009

got gut?

I have recently realized that my gut has gone missing, at least the gut that I trust (I don't trust the spare tire hanging around my waist). I used to trust my gut, and, that I know of, it kept me pretty straight: buy, sell, fold the pocket kings, go all in, don't get in that taxi, run for cover, etc. These days, though...

So the terrible-sounding question: anyone know a good gut cleanser? Again, talking about the internal, untangible gut people. In light of my recent weight gain, I'd rather not discuss the other.

I fear that my gut has gotten clouded by ingesting garbage, weighing alternatives, worrying about the butterfly effect, treading too lightly, and simply a personal distrust for my own instincts. After making several minor (and kinda major) wrong steps over the past week, I've come to realize that the gut I have been listening to isn't really mine at all. It's a warped, foggy, distant, confused voice, and it has got to go.

Advice?

shanti,
mjh

4 comments:

Jaime Lynn said...

Hmm...interesting. The only way I find mine is by writing. I guess I sometimes find it reading, but writing is usually better.

Oh - and strangely enough - I found a parenting horoscope that made me more aware of said "gut" based on my stupid birthday. I am supposedly loosy-goosy with rules when it comes to raising children, going "by the seat of my pants" kind of thing. The more I thought of the more I knew it was true.

So, either start a journal or read some horoscopes. ;o)

Unknown said...

Jaime, 2 things. 1) do you know Kathy Scott? same one that I knew? 2) you gotta blog, girl. I am getting tired of reading about the Celine Dion concert...

Alison said...

Becoming a parent changed how I make my decisions since it no longer just effected me. My decisions now effect 1, 2, now 3 (yikes!) other people. So, it is harder to make a "gut" decision when so much more is on the line.

Unknown said...

Alison, good point. Now that my decisions greatly influence a life other than my own, it changes the game. Even before becoming a parent, my decisions affected my family, wife, etc., but when they affect someone who is too young to have developed their own gut and who basically just has to go with my choices, it's a different pressure.