Friday, February 29, 2008

Tithing (mis?)understanding

I need help understanding something:

Tithing
"When you have finished setting aside a tenth of all your produce in the third year, the year of the tithe, you shall give it to the Levite, the alien, the fatherless and the widow, so that they may eat in your towns and be satisfied." (
Deuteronomy 26:12)

I think I pretty much understand tithing (mentioned only in the Old Testament). It is mentioned about 30 times (depending on your chosen translation), and it generally appears in similar context: Earmark the first 10% of your receivings to give to the Lord's work [which according to Christ means caring for the "least" (re: Matthew 25:45)].

What I don't understand is why the Church has become the self-appointed middle-man for the tithe. I hear from the Church that, to follow God and the Bible, I must give them 10% every week, but I can't seem to find that anywhere in my Bible. What I see is a message of generosity, compassion, and giving to those in need. What the church seems be pushing is a lazy cop-out. If Christians were truly devoted to and seeking God's message and heart, wouldn't we be tithing to the "least" and not to the light bill?

I understand the Church and the churchgoer's reasoning. It just seems like an awfully self-preservationist arrangement. Sure, it's easier for the churchgoer (who has time to go find the needy, right?), but do I really want God's money to be spent purchasing new basketballs for the gym? And where in the Bible does Jesus mention the need for a building plan? (That is a topic for another day.) Am I really worshiping and being judicious with God's blessings by helping the Church purchase a brand new projection TV? We are called to be God's hands and feet on this Earth, right? I just can't figure out how tithing to the Church accomplishes that.

So, if anyone can help, please feel free to comment away. My old church used to set aside 5th Sundays (which occur four times a year) as music services; perhaps the Church could set aside such occurances as "all the tithe goes to x charity" days. At least it would be a start, I guess.

shanti,
mjh

No comments: