Tuesday, July 8, 2008

religion, faith, emotion, etc. pt. 2

my thought process is that if emotion is the enemy of faith, then does that make logic faith's friend? Is it possible that logic can actually lead someone towards faith if emotion is taken out of the equation?

It seems obvious that emotion is definitely a friend of religion; a quick peek into any religious ceremony could confirm this. I do not posit that religion is all emotion, but I do believe that it can play a very significant role in one's religious experience.

However, faith and religion are not interchangeable, at least not in the Christian society that I am familiar with. Religion belongs to the whole, faith to the individual. By believing in/joining with a religion/religious body, one professes to agree with (most) of the common tenants, rules, beliefs, etc. of the larger community. However, faith is personal; it is the place where you believe what you believe regardless of external pressure or voice (in fact, with Christianity, it's a lot about that internal voice).

So, how does personal faith relate to emotion and logic. Or does it? More about this tomorrow...maybe.

shanti,
mjh

3 comments:

mel said...

i have to think about this one.

Unknown said...

any thoughts, melissa? I have shelved this one for a nice long walk sometime, but let me know if you come up with anything. I have a feeling this subject will bug me for a long while.

ZezzY said...

Excuse me for the advertisement:
http://whatisyourfaith.blogspot.com/