Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Secret Senses

So, a little over three years ago, something epic happened in our home. When my wife and I moved to Virginia, I decided it was time to integrate our books. To someone who does not hold his/her book collection near and dear to his/her heart, this might not sound important. But, to me, it was a commitment, a literal joining together of two lives.

Fast forward to three days ago when a new chapter began in our family. I, for some truly unknown reason, wandered downstairs and chose a book to read...from my wife's collection. (Sure, the books all populate the same shelves, but we aren't ignorant to the fact that we still have "yours" and "mine" books.) What did I choose? "The Hundred Secret Senses" by Amy Tan.

I must say that I have been pleasantly surprised so far. Not that I didn't know that Tan was a great writer, but knowing and experiencing are always different things. I am still very much at the beginning of the book, but I have really enjoyed her style/language/fluidity so far. I am not a very quick reader (primarily due to time constraints; having a 14-month old will really devour your free time), but I have already felt the familiar Siren song, drawing me back to read a handful of pages whenever I can find the time.

If nothing else in the book speaks to me, I have already found the gem that I so desperately seek in all of the books that I crack open:

"And then Kwan told me how our father caught a disease of too many good dreams. He could not stop thinking about riches and an easier life, so he became lost, floated out of their lives, and washed away his memories..."

shanti,
mjh

No comments: