Thursday, March 27, 2008

unChristian

I am reading an interesting new book, unChristian. I don't have it in front of me now, so I won't give the author, ISBN, and all that jazz. You can find more information here and watch a video by the authors here.

The basic gist of the book: the authors conducted research to try and determine what the popular Christian public image is these days; they tried to determine what both insiders and outsiders think about the Church and its members, its message, and its role in overall society.

What makes the book rather interesting is that it takes the data a step further. It is not simply a critical view of modern-day Christians, but instead it first presents the data fairly objectively, then attempts to offer action items (in the form of alternative paths, questions to consider, etc.) designed to rectify the PR problem (evidenced by the collected data). The authors identiry as Christians themselves, and, therefore, they are vested in altering the image of their chosen societal segment.

I have only gotten through the first couple of chapters, but I thought I would mention it as a knee-jerk recommendation, if any of you are looking for something to read/ponder. Not quite beach reading, but it doesn't appear to be too technical, either. Once I get further in, I will surely offer updates.

shanti,
mjh

1 comment:

mel said...

i was looking at that one the other day online. keep me posted, i might read it myself!