Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Dear first day of my trip:

Dear lady who sat next to me on my first flight:
I am sincerely glad that fate brought us together. Though we never even exchanged names, I enjoyed our conversation. Sorry about your legal troubles, and sorry you missed your flight yesterday because you decided smoking was more important. Be good to your kids and remember how we both acknowledged our blessings.

Dear lady screaming on her phone:
We all know that you are upset that our C’ville flight is delayed. And, yes, everyone knows that this is your third attempt at getting home today. You should know that we are all ignoring you not because we don’t understand or care; we are all ignoring you because you are being a jerk.

Dear flight attendant:
I asked for Ginger Ale and you gave me Diet Coke. I didn’t correct you…not because I am a nice guy, but because I don’t like conflict (read: I have no guts). I would sooner have gone to the airline bathroom and poured the Diet Coke out than point out your mistake. However, I foresee conflict between me and the tiny airline bathroom, too.

Dear US Airways:
It was quite rude of you to begin boarding the late flight to C’ville while those of us booked on the delayed early flight were only one gate away..waiting on our “mechanical problems” to be solved. I don’t expect you to punish the late folks, and I don’t expect you to take their seats away and give them to us (as some were suggesting), but use some common sense people. I don’t need to hear that my just-arrived-at-their-gate brothers and sisters are boarding their plane to C’ville, while those of us who have been waiting over two hours are told to just sit tight and are expected to ignore what is going on. Let’s not push me and see where my conflict threshold is today. Let’s just get Matt to C’ville.

Dear Manchu Wok:
Does the fact that the lady in front of me ordered in Chinese worry you? I mean, the food is fine to my doesn’t-know-Chinese-food palate…but she’s the real deal.

Dear business man:
Yes, I saw you walk into the ladies restroom. Enough said.

Dear cab driver:
Wow, that was fast. Thanks for getting me to my hotel in once piece and for not trying to talk to me too much. It’s been a long day, and I actually liked the silence.

Dear drunk people:
Come on, it’s 3 a.m. I can’t sleep, not because of your loud screaming but because I have my own sleeping issues tonight. However, your cackling is definitely not helping (and I’m sure whatever just happened cannot possibly be that funny).

Dear blog:
Tomorrow (well...today) is a big day. I'll talk to you then.

shanti,
mjh

1 comment:

Wallace said...

very creative post! Hope you have a safe (rest of) trip.