Monday, April 14, 2008

death song

my best friend J emailed me this weekend with this question: "Have you ever thought of songs that you'd like to hear while you're dying?" Morbid, yes, but we all have these friendships, right? Where the morbid and extreme live right next to the boring and mundane. Anyhow, i have been thinking about for the past day or so.

My immediate thought was "The Same Deep Water As You" by the Cure. Of course because I love the Cure but also because this song has an amazing drifting away quality about it. Unless I am drowning, though, I don't know if this would be it.

My second thought was to rock out; perhaps "Happiness in Slavery" by NIN or "More Human than Human" by White Zombie. Why not face death with fury, listening to "
Detharmonic" by Dethklok?

Not sure this is the way to go, either. Perhaps "Let Him Fly" by Patty Griffin. Actually, there are many Patty songs that could make the list.

J chose "Hallelujah" (J Buckley's version), which is actually a great choice. Might be my pick if it wasn't already taken. Though I am not sure I want to spend my last moment still trying to figure the lyrics out.

After all of the thought, I am going to have to go with a classic. If any of you are around and have access to my ipod, hook me up with "Silent Lucidity" by Queensryche. An oldie but a goodie.

shanti,
mjh

p.s.--"Hallelujah", "Silent Lucidity", "More Human than Human", "Detharmonic", and "Let Him Fly" are on my playlist (see music player at the bottom of the page), if you want to check 'em out.

7 comments:

mel said...

this is a tough one. i would have to say that mine would probbly be 'orinico flow'. not becuase of its obvious 'sail away' lyrics, but becuase its very calming but happy, and reminds me of the importance and value of life. i think that it would bring back lots of good memories and i could leave in peace.
either that or jay-z's 'i'm a hustler'. that way i could booty dance my way out! ;)

Unknown said...

Just for you, i added said song to my playlist. Not that I want you to pass on while reading my blog, but, just in case, it's always there for you.

Unknown said...

Sorry, Jay-z will never make my oh-so-elitist playlist.

mel said...

i understand, its not for everyone. :)

Anonymous said...

I would love to just hear "Darkside Of The Moon" as i'm drifting away.

Unknown said...

I hear ya, Don. I might be convinced that is the way to go. Speaking of Floyd, I might change my pick to "Shine on you Crazy Diamond"; all nine parts, too. No one better short-change me.

mel said...

you should write something about songs that make you think of other people. it would be hard to pick just one song per person. but this song (counting blue cars) always makes me think of you. i don't know if its the top 'matt song', but its up there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5MjVyqByzU