Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Jesus Christ

Does it really matter if He really is who he says He is? (Yes, I capitalize references to Jesus and God, but I don't believe it matters to Them.) I have been trying to answer this question for myself for a long time, and I doubt I will ever truly come to a peaceful conclusion (partly b/c I like questions rumbling in my head for those rainy days). However, today and most days, I don't truly believe that it matters.

Do I believe that Jesus and his authors laid down a positive life-path? Yes. I might even declare that he laid down the best example/instruction for how to live a peaceful, fulfilling life: se
lfless, loving, generous, remorse without hate, empathy with action, etc. Do I believe that living like Christ or being a "little Christ" (as I have been told this is what "Christian" actually means) would make my world better? Yes. Do I believe it matters whether Jesus really was the son of God, dying, resurrecting, reappearing, sitting at the right hand? No. Why would it? Would America cease to be America if we learned that George Washington never existed, that he was just a Johnny Appleseed story that made the middle school history books (I do realize that this is a terrible analogy, but I have become distracted)? (Yes, I was one of those grad students who did not care whether Shakespeare was one man or many.)

I bring this up b/c the church I have been attending (I have no clue where my "membership" is these days--church membership...that's another topic for another day) has really been pushing the "Jesus Matters" angle. I understand why and I understand the timing. We have been in a time of reconciliation of sorts (more like synthesis) of world religions (at least as they pertain to the Christian Church). I hear lots of talk about "many paths to God"; full disclosure: 1/2 of my family is Hindu and I am currently reading The Third Jesus by Deepak Chopra, so maybe my ears are simply pointed East. Still, however, it seems that the Church stands to lose a lot of power if Jesus becomes less superman and more idea.

Other point: I don't (and will never) know if Jesus really was God incarnate and neither do you. In fact, I don't know if there is an afterlife and neither do you. Not to sound harsh, but that is the truth on the table. If you are interested in what happens when a pastor starts preaching that Hell doesn't exist, please check the story out here. It is definitely worth your time.

Well, I don't remember where I started or why I started writing this morning, as real life has crept in (meaning my work Inbox is filling up), so I am hesitant to post this random entry at all, but, in the spirit of blogging, it will stand up and be counted.

Hopefully, I will pick this theme up again soon and try to make sense or a circle out of it. For now, however, work calls...oh, and I do realize that it's all about faith and I have never really had much. Hence, the problem.

shanti,
mjh

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt,

It's a bit suspect that this is written on April 1st. Are you April Foolsing or truly questioning?

Mindy

mel said...

its interesting that you talked about this. i was recently talking to a friend about something along the same lines - sort of. so many people who are anti-organized religion say that its a crutch or for the weak who can not think for themselves. what i'm thinking is what if its not a crutch but if its truly your choice to take part. you can think and question everything and all that you want, and still get the strength and lessons that you can from belonging to something you belive in. i would argue that would make you stronger, not weaker.(this coming from a girl who hasn't been to chuch in years)
so my point is, (similar to yours, i think) is i think its a difference between the message and the messanger.

Unknown said...

Mindy,

I think you know me well enough to know the answer.

Unknown said...

melissa,

i agree that the message matters. i also agree that belonging to a belief set because you choose to is much more mature than belonging because someone told you to. however, i have always envied the blind faith crowd; though i might view their blindness as weak or immature (yes, i admit the judgment), i have never met someone who "just believed" who was worse off than i (who can't seem to believe anything anymore). it's the old adage: "Ignorance is bliss, and once you realize that, it is too late."

mel said...

you're right. i always kinda thought that i was never worse off for it all. but i go back and forth on that one...