Wednesday, April 2, 2008

counting my blessings...

I realize going into this post that I am treading dangerous ground. I miss my friends a lot, and I have been thinking lately about why. Obviously, the connection, be it deep and soul-touching or casual and social, is what begins/sustains any relationship. However, I have been discovering pieces of folks that I truly wish were still a part of my puzzle. Call it a realization and longing for "characteristics" over "character". So why boil an entire human being down to a few words? I admit it is unfair and a gross undervaluation of you all, but it would be impossible to focus otherwise. I truly miss the physical touch, sight, sound, and presence of so many people, but what I intend to do is define the most vivid piece of each person that is missing from my life. First, I have not pre-thought this out (it is a blog, you know), so if you are reading this and are not on the list, it simply means that I have not pre-thought this out, not that you mean zilch to me. I apologize in advance for the many people I will inadvertently leave out (and to the many females whose maiden names will be used). Second, if you don't like what is listed, sorry; I also miss that about you.

I miss (of course, in no particular order):
Wallace J's wisdom
Alison C's whole-heartedness
Melissa C's aura of empathy, humility, and craziness
Dacia F's wonderfully carefree whimsy
Jamie G's love for my friends
Carla S's intense sense of humor
Amy H's watchful inner eye
Amy R's steadfastness
Jamie W's ability to be positive and uplifting with witty, sarcastic realism
Rob R's mature ability to belong and not belong concurrently
Ed B's soft-spoken, wise understanding
Rob B's wit ("hot apple thighs"; still makes me laugh)
Jaime C's complete ability to "get" me
Don D's rock-and-roll, life-changing friendship
Lizzie T's beautiful compassion
Susan T's boundless pursuits
Jonathan H's deep, deep soul
Rick Z's always-looked-stoned casualness
Rachel D's passion and grace
Angie O's survival instincts
David B's charisma
Donna C's bubbly love of life and you
Henry C's ability to unite
Sally P's laughter
Tracy G's intensity
Allyson W's never-say-die, drama-filled, beautiful friendship
Brett H's unconditional love
Rachna R's ability to see the truth in things
Supriti P's ability to change the rules
Howard H's hugs and simple complexity
Kate B's gentle confrontations
Katie B's wonderful intenseness
Sima's G's strength
Julie W's inspired/inspiring art
Clay F's smart conversation
Yara A's comfortability
Harry P's "Harry"-ness
Jonathan D's shock value
Lindsey K's constant ambition
Erin H's tenacity
Jeff S's vision
Sharon D's ability to care just enough
Cyndi B's correct valuation of importance
Pam H's honesty
Christine's gentleness
Mike's New-York-style attitude
Vicki M's nervous confidence

*disclaimer* For the most part, I have left family out.

Point is: I miss you, and these are the primary reasons. Maybe tomorrow, I will list the second-most thing I miss about you. :o)

Consider me blessed to have known you all, and I am grateful for the qualities you shared with me.

shanti,

mjh

1 comment:

Wallace said...

Cool list... I'm not so sure about #1... but I admire your bravery for making the list!

;)