Wednesday, April 28, 2010

attitude

It is hard raising a 3-year-old. I am constantly having difficult conversations, teaching difficult lessons, and, moreover, facing the reflection of such.

"Lily, you really should be grateful for what you have; many children do not have so many toys." "Why, daddy?" -- I have no good answer;
"Lily, get in here and clean up your toys." -- as I try not to turn around and look at the messy kitchen;
"Lily, you need to get better at sharing." -- as I hoard money, tangible stuff, and scrape the leftovers into the trash;
"Lily, you don't need to watch anymore TV today." -- and I know that, once she is in bed, I will turn it right back on.
"Lily, it's not that big of a deal." -- I am pretty sure I said while mentally cursing the driver in front of me.

The most pressing reflection, however, has to do with attitude.

"Lily, you need to focus more on the positive aspects of the day and not on the minor problems."

I'll admit it; I have been pretty critical of my company lately. It's part of why my corporate blog has been more silent these days; too much to say, but too hesitant to say any of it. Some of it is just personal, and personal it shall stay.

However, 1) I have a job, 2) it is a good job, 3) it is an important job, 4) I am better today than I was five years ago because of this job.

Today, I am grateful; today, I am proud; today, I am focusing on the positive. As they say, the future is unknown and necessarily distant, but today, today, I can focus on the undeniable good.

I urge you to do the same.

shanti,
mjh

No comments: