Monday, April 26, 2010

mail

My to-do list is out of control; my guess is that you can relate. No matter how much I try to get done in a day or week, it seems that the list never really gets any shorter. However distressing this might be, I still find comfort in cutting down the list whenever possible. Tonight, I have crossed another thing off, and the Truth that it reveals could alter your day.

Two days ago, I received my Census form. I did my part after dinner this evening, and now it sits, definitely crossed off of the list, out in my mailbox.

Tasks such as this always cause me to pause. The official to-do states that I need to fill out the Census and mail it. Part one of that requirement is complete; part two...I guess it's not quite fulfilled, as I know it is still out there, in the metal box. Thankfully, the faith that I have in its completion is enough to settle my nerves.

I imagine that being a manager feels a lot like this. The task is not officially complete yet, but I have confidence that the person assigned to help me complete it (in my case, my mail-carrier) will do so without pause or incident. I trust that she will take every step necessary to fulfill her duty or will alert me to any hindrances. I have enough faith in the process and the person hired to take charge of that process, that I, almost without thinking, already consider it done.

I sincerely hope that anyone in my personal chain of command, and in yours, employs such trust; likewise I sincerely hope that I, and you, have earned it.

I don't believe that I have ever thanked my mail-carrier for a job well done; I think tomorrow that will change. How about you? If you rely on others, have faith in others, believe in others to get the job done, why not make them aware of your appreciation today?

Yes, I just put something on your to-do list. Apologies for that, but I trust that you will cross it off soon enough.

shanti,
mjh

No comments: