Monday, April 12, 2010

weight

Last Thursday night, I checked back into my hotel room and accepted my fate: snowed in; no way out. I was not thrilled with the situation, though the quiet after the storm (both literally and metaphorically) was quite nice. Four days of Action Labs had passed, and a calmness had descended on the IBM Palisades. I took some time that night to sit out on the hotel balcony; I watched the snow continue to fall, stared out at the monochromatic landscape, and listened to the utter quietness.

It was during one of these cold, centering sessions when I was introduced to a phenomenon not often present in the South. Loud cracks, sharp breaks, distant crashing sounds. It took me a few minutes to discern the noise, then I saw it happen.

A perfectly healthy-looking branch, weighted down by the snow, just fell free from its tree and crashed to the ground. Weight; I have seen this before. Actually, I am seeing it now at my company.

Weight, either tangible or intangible, can be bothersome, can slow you down, and, given enough time and inattention, can literally render you unable to maintain.

So, how are you doing? Have you checked your weight lately? Have you checked the weight of those around you?

Managers, if you do not have an accurate idea of the weight your team members are carrying, both as a team and especially individually, it's time to check in. When the branch has fallen, when the weight has done its damage, there rarely is a chance to go back. The crack, break, and crash come fast; you'd be wise to see it coming.

And if you, dear reader, cannot carry one more thing, if you are weighed down to the point of cracking, start shouting. We are a company, after all, and that implies togetherness and sharing. If you crack and fall, well, the landscape just wouldn't be the same.

It's worth thinking about: If you fall in the forest, and no one hears it...

shanti,
mjh

No comments: